Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase, I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Do you want to grow long hair fast? Or at the very least, do you want strong and healthy hair? Growing long hair can take a bit of effort, but it’s not impossible to speed things up a bit. I’m going to go through some tips on how to grow long hair naturally. Below I will include a list of foods that you should consider including in your diet to help you on your way!
When growing long hair, we first have to make sure that you are healthy and not deficient in any nutrients. When you are properly nourished, your body is in a happy state and it can allocate resources for the growth of the hair on your head. By not getting enough nutrients, the last thing your body wants to do is support the growth something that is not vital to staying alive.
Growing really long hair can take years for some people and can be frustratingly slow if you’re starting off with a short hairstyle. It took me only two years to see my hair grow from my neck to my waist! It was very fast.
Hair typically grows about half an inch per month, but this can vary from person to person. The hair length a person can attain is genetically determined, so if your hair tends to stop at a certain length and never goes further, this is your terminal length and at the moment there’s really not a lot you can do.
In other cases where vitamin and mineral deficiencies might be present, you can take a hair supplement that contains vitamins, which may speed up hair growth.
Foods to grow hair fast
1. Leafy Greens – Spinach and kale are packed with nutrition. In fact, kale is one of the most nutritious greens you can eat! Throw some spinach or kale into the blender and make a green smoothie to get the most out of them. Blending can increase the availability of nutrients for your body to absorb, especially beta-carotene. They also are high in iron which is very important for hair growth.
2. Nuts – A great snack and great for your hair too! Eating a handful of walnuts each day will increase oil production in your scalp and help keep your hair strong and less prone to split ends and breakage. My second suggestion is to eat one Brazil nut each day for Selenium. It’s important not to get too little or too much of this important mineral. And finally, eat a few almonds for some biotin.
3. Beans and Lentils – Your hair is made up of protein! So, of course, these foods are perfect to include in your diet. Beans also contain significant amounts of zinc which can often be lacking in a vegetarian or vegan diet. You might want to add some garlic as well since garlic significantly increases the absorption of zinc.
4. Sweet potatoes – These orange potatoes are loaded with vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene. This pro-vitamin increases oil production and fights against dandruff. Dry scalp and dry hair are not good for healthy hair. And don’t forget to add some extra virgin olive oil when eating them to increase the absorption of beta-carotene.
5. Oats – Silica is an overlooked mineral when it comes to hair health. Oatmeal contains up to 500 mg of Silica and will surely help you grow beautiful long hair in no time!
Drinks to help you grow your hair fast
Green Tea – High in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds called catechins. Sometimes when we’re stressed out, we experience an increase in inflammation and stress hormones in the body which are bad for hair growth. Green tea also contains l-theanine which is an amino acid that is calming and lowers cortisol. Add some freshly grounded ginger for a more powerful drink.
Hot Chocolate – Find a chocolate drink with at least 60% Cocoa. Chocolate increases circulation in the body and increases blood flow to the scalp. It’s also high in magnesium, zinc, copper, and iron, all of which are important for hair growth.
My hair growth by the end of 2013
We can grow long hair on a vegan diet if we pay attention to our diet and have a little bit of patience. Some people can grow their hair very fast, and some grow it more slowly. The most important thing is that your hair is maintained in a healthy condition so that it stays strong and looks healthy.
Rather than focusing on just the length of your hair, and achieving a certain length, make sure you keep every inch of your hair in the best condition possible. This will help your hair look amazing and allow you to reach your hair’s terminal length more quickly.
If you have split ends, make sure you cut them. Taking care of your hair can feel like a full-time job and quite a pain, but just a little care will go a long way, I promise!.
And finally, I recommend that you pick decent hair products that fit your hair. This can take a bit of experimentation, but it’ll be worth just trying a few different products. I also recommend using a good clarifying shampoo once a week at least.
Your hair can only grow so much every month, so just enjoy the process of styling it and going through different looks as it gets longer. You’ll be at your desired hair length in no time!
Article reviewed and updated: February 2019.