Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase, I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
SkinCeuticals Advanced Pigment is an alternative corrective treatment for pigment problems of the skin. Over the years I have been looking desperately for something that didn’t irritate my skin and also removed some of the marks I had from having acne.
Acne marks and hyperpigmentation can take a serious amount of time to go away, and if you’re like me and want to speed up the process, you’re probably on what feels like an endless journey to find out how to lighten pimple marks quickly so you don’t have to always be conscious about the marks on your face. Having fair skin also just makes it so much worse!
I received a couple of samples of Advanced Pigment Corrector by Skinceuticals and since I never had a negative reaction to the product, I decided to go ahead and purchase it. I’m normally quite cautious about what products I add to my skincare regimen, but this seemed to be a fine addition!
Review of Skinceuticals Advanced Pigment Corrector For Red Acne Marks and Hyperpigmentation
The ingredients of Skinceuticals Advanced Pigment Corrector:
- Salicylic Acid – This ingredient helps exfoliate the skin and fades the dark spots that you already have. It can also clear the dead skin cells so other products and ingredients can penetrate and work better.
- Hydroxyphenoxy Propionic Acid – This ingredient is a non-toxic form of hydroquinone, which is popular for lightening skin, but can cause side effects and has even been banned in some countries. Hydroxyphenoxy Propionic acid prevents the transfer of melanin. Melanin is basically what causes the skin to become pigmented from sun exposure and damage. Studies on this ingredient have shown it to be equivalent to 2% Kojic Acid for removing hyperpigmentation.
- Vitamin E – This ingredient has significant anti-inflammatory and moisturizing effects on the skin to keep it soft and young-looking. It also helps fight free radical damage, which is known to be a cause of skin aging. It can be especially effective when combined with vitamin C.
- Ellagic Acid – An antioxidant which is found in many different fruits, vegetables, and teas. Ellagic acid was included in the product to help reduce dark spots and discolorations of the skin.
- Yeast Extract – Helps the skin in stopping future discoloration, as well as boosting skin’s immunity and improving collagen synthesis.
Applying SkinCeuticals Advanced Pigment Corrector
The product is white and has a very nice smell with good a good consistency to it. I use the advanced pigment corrector after applying CF + Phloretin product because it’s thicker and the thickest product should be applied last.
What is good about the product?
- It has a really nice smell.
- A little goes a long way.
- It doesn’t irritate my skin and doesn’t cause any acne breakouts.
- It contains yeast extract, which has been shown to be great for skin immunity, collagen synthesis, and also inhibits melanin.
- You don’t need to use it forever, so you can use it to treat the problem and then continue to use your regular preventative skin care products.
What is bad about the product?
- The price is quite expensive.
- Results come quite slow. It took me about 12 weeks before I started to notice a significant difference and one year before I had noticed a real massive improvement in my overall skin condition.
Who should purchase this skin care product?
Advanced pigment corrector is a great product that you can add to your existing skincare regimen if you have any issues with any of the following:
- Uneven skin tone.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from acne.
- Any other discoloration of the skin.
- If you want to lighten your skin.
SkinCeuticals Advanced Pigment Corrector study results
In 2013, a paper was published which gave the results of a 12-week study using advanced pigment corrector.
Around 41 subjects received the treatment and 41 patients got the placebo.
The results showed that tretinoin and advanced pigment corrector had produced similar results in improving skin tone, decreasing the intensity of spots, decreasing pore size, and improving overall pigmentation of the skin. (study).
In 2015, another study showed similar results when combining the product with 0.0025 tretinoin.
Why did I use the product?
I had acne many years ago and was left with plenty of red marks, lots of them in fact. For the most part, they went away after adopting a healthy lifestyle, but some stayed around for what seems like forever.
In fact, whenever I get a breakout, for whatever reason, marks are left behind which can take weeks, months, or even years to go away. However, this is no longer the case since I have been taking a zinc supplement: see my experience here with zinc and acne.
Fortunately, breakouts are much less common these days than they were in the past. But it’s good to have handy because it dramatically speeds up healing time and also fades any marks that tend to be stubborn and don’t go away quickly.
If you’ve ever suffered from red marks due to acne, then you know just how frustrating it can be.
Advanced skin pigment corrector was definitely a very good addition to my regular skincare routine!
Where to buy SkinCeuticals Advanced Pigment Corrector?
Skinceuticals.com sells their products directly on their website, but it tends to be more expensive. Skinceuticals were also acquired by L’oreal, one of the leading brands of anti-aging and corrective skincare products, so you’ll find it in that section of some places
Although, SkinCeuticals products are often used by dermatologists, so you will find them mostly in dermatology clinics and not your average high street store.
These products are premium and can be a bit more expensive than the store brands. But there is a big difference in quality and effectiveness: SkinCeuticals products are actually backed up by science, and that’s why I choose them over many other brands out there.
It’s been almost a decade now since I started using their product line, and I’ve had really good results. I doubt I will change to another skincare line any time soon!
Go here if you want to check out reviews and current price for Skinceuticals advanced pigment corrector.
I highly recommend the product if you currently have any skin discolorations that are being quite stubborn and are not going away.
I still continue to use the product for over a year and a half now, and will likely continue to use it along with CF+Phloretin.
And lastly, if you’re interested, check out my comparison between two powerful antioxidant serums: CE Ferulic vs CF Phloretin.
Article reviewed and updated: February 2019.