Fauja Singh

The Inspirational Marathon Runner Fauja Singh

There are many centenarians in the UK, but Fauja stands out from the rest. When he was over 100 years old he was able to run the London Marathon! An amazing accomplishment! He holds many different records according to his wikipedia page.

Who is Fauja Singh?

Fauja Singh was born on the 1st of April 1911. He is part of the Sikh community in the UK and is of Punjabi Indian descent.

I’ve been following Fauja Singh for quite a few years. I first saw him on a TV Documentary when he took part in the London Marathon. On there he described his diet, and it’s clear that he’s been practicing calorie restriction for many years.

On Wikipedia it says that Mr Singh is 5 ft 8″ tall and weighs just 115 lbs. So he is very lean, but this is probably a result of expending lots of energy running and aging itself, not just CR.

CR Slows Down Muscle Aging

It’s been shown in rodents and rhesus monkeys that a CR diet preserves muscle mass and function with age. Also, in biopsies taken from people practicing long term calorie restriction (age 58 ± 7.4), gene expression profile of their muscles was found to be more similar to 30 year old controls. Big muscles require more calories, which accelerates ageing. CR does decrease muscle mass a little (depends on severity of restriction), but it preserves the muscles you have and its function for decades longer.

Fauja Singh Diet Plan

Fauja Singh believes that the reason he has lived so long is because he also abstains from both smoking and alcohol, and he follows a vegetarian diet. He includes many fresh foods in this diet. Fauja has also limited the amount of food that he eats every day.

In the BBC interview below he told the reporter that he ate only a child’s size portion of food. He is practicing calorie restriction which has been known to prolong lifespan and it seems to be paying off for him.

A great example to follow!

I respect people like Fauja a lot. He has tried to live the best he could given the circumstances and things that he faced in life. He is a strong person who desires to live life and not slow down.

I follow a similar lifestyle to Faujua: I don’t drink alcohol, I’ve never smoked, and for most of my life I’ve been active.

I’ve also been vegetarian since 2007 and ‘mostly’ vegan since 2012, and will continue continue to eat this way for health and ethical reasons.

I hope I can be in as good shape as he is when I reach that age. Actually, I hope to reach the 22nd century! 🙂 By then, I think it’s very possible we’ll have ways to reverse ageing.

Many people today in their 60s and 70s are not able to do what this man has accomplished, but I think that more people could, if they followed this way of life. Some people say: “it’s genes” and then forget about it.

I think people underestimate how much of an impact diet and exercise can have. You have to remember that the choices you make today are important for your health decades from now. Make the right choices.

I recommend checking out and joining his Facebook page to keep up to date with what he’s up to.

Also check out the following on Fauja Singh

Calorie restriction in humans inhibits the PI3K/AKT pathway and induces a younger transcription profile

10 comments for “Fauja Singh

1. Pam
    10/09/2017 at 12:52 am

I found this article inspiring and it provided further motivation and validation as I continue following the CR path. I have not heard of him, and I was especially pleased to read that he follows a calorie restricted diet. Sometimes it is hard to make the best food and exercise choices, so an article like this helps us all stay the course. 106 and running is enough motivation, he certainly is thriving to possess the stamina to run marathons!

• 10/09/2017 at 1:12 am

He’s amazing! I added a couple videos below the embedded one. Check them out also if you haven’t. 🙂

• Pam
        10/09/2017 at 11:24 pm

Thank you very much!

2. andrea c.
    10/14/2017 at 1:19 am

Fascinating story, but unfortunately he don’t have a birth certificate.
    In my opinion he’s probably a bit (or much more) younger than he claims…for example he could have an age between 80 and 95 years old. In very good health and extraordinarily fit for that age, but not so outstanding and incredible!

• 10/14/2017 at 1:38 am

I’m aware of this. Do you remember a guy named Buster Martin? He turned out to be a bit younger than he claimed as well, but not that much if I remember correctly. I have not actually seen anything to doubt the claim of this guy (unlike Buster), so I guess we won’t know for certain… until maybe something shows up.

One of the arguments from GRG is that if the centenarian or supercentenrian looks or acts like they are much younger than their age, then you should doubt their claim. Well, I would dispute that logic. Slowing ageing does mean slowing ageing inside and outside.

I suppose as we go forward, we’ll have more people reaching these ages with better records. 🙂

If you come across information to dispute his age, please share! And I’ll update the post.

Thanks for the comment, Andrea! 🙂

• andrea c.
        10/14/2017 at 2:20 am

thanks for your answer!

I agree with you, if someone ages slower than average, looks and behaves younger than his chronological age. But i think that there is an unbeatable limit on slowing aging, when a person seems more than 20 or 30 years younger and don’t shows any proof of his birth date, it is natural to be somewhat skeptical.

Fauja Singh would be incredible and very inspiring for “longevity seekers”, even if he had 10 years less than he claims!

Congratulations to your blog, it’s full of interesting resources.

Greetings from Italy! 🙂

3. Pam
    10/15/2017 at 12:51 pm

Wow! These are interesting further comments and give so much hope! I knew looking younger was related to slower aging, and suspected acting younger or feeling younger than ones biological age correlated as well, but I have not begun to fully explore. Reading these comments give renewed hope and optimism and surprisingly enough I feel younger already!

• 10/16/2017 at 11:17 pm

Well of course… Mice, rats, dogs, monkeys on CR all tend to look younger than their age and keep their fur longer. If you look at pictures of centenarians and supercentenarians, you’ll see that they also looked younger than their age at all stages in life. By no means is it an indicator of longevity by itself, but it’s just a common feature! Unless you destroy your skin in the sun. 🙂

4. Joao
    10/20/2017 at 9:44 pm

Do you think he has been practicing CR? How many calories you think he has?

• 10/22/2017 at 8:40 am

Hard to say. He has a very low BMI though… I’ll try to find out the answer. Maybe it’s not hard to contact someone who knows him. 🙂