Who is Fauja Singh?

The Inspirational Marathon Runner Fauja Singh

Fauja Singh is a remarkable person and someone who is a living example of what a healthy mindset and healthy lifestyle can do. He currently holds many records for his running. So, what makes him remarkable? Well, he is currently 106 years old, and he completed marathons when he was over 100 years old! Just a few weeks before he reached 102, he completed the Hong Kong Marathon.

Fauja Singh

I’ve been following Fauja Singh for quite a few years. I first saw him on a TV Documentary when he took part in the London Marathon. On there, he described his diet, and it’s clear that he’s been practicing calorie restriction for many years. On Wikipedia it says that Mr Singh is 5 ft 8″ tall and weighs just 115 lbs. So he is very lean, but this is probably a result of expending lots of energy running and aging itself, not just CR.

It’s been shown in rodents and rhesus monkeys that a CR diet preserves muscle mass and function with age. Also, in biopsies taken from people practicing long term calorie restriction (age 58 ± 7.4), gene expression profile of their muscles was found to be more similar to 30 year old controls. Big muscles require more calories, which accelerates ageing. CR does decrease muscle mass a little (depends on severity of restriction), but it preserves the muscles you have and its function for decades longer.

Fauja Singh believes that the reason he has lived so long is because he also abstains from both smoking and alcohol, and he follows a vegetarian diet. He mentions that he has been very careful with his diet over the years. He says that he limits his food intake by eating half a normal portion of food.

Here we have a great example to follow. I personally do not drink alcohol, I’ve never smoked, and for most of my life I’ve been active. I’ve also been vegetarian since 2007 and ‘mostly’ vegan since 2012, and will continue continue to eat this way for health and ethical reasons. I hope I can be in as good shape as he is when I reach that age. Actually, I hope to reach the 22nd century! 🙂 By then, I think it’s very possible we’ll have ways to reverse ageing.

Many people today in their 60s and 70s are not able to do what this man has accomplished, but I think that more people could, if they followed this way of life. Some people say: “it’s genes” and then forget about it. I think people underestimate how much of an impact diet and exercise can have. You have to remember that the choices you make today are important for your health decades from now. Make the right choices.

I recommend checking out and joining his Facebook page to keep up to date with what he’s up to.

Here’s a clip from that BBC Documentary I watched years ago, enjoy.

Calorie restriction in humans inhibits the PI3K/AKT pathway and induces a younger transcription profile

8 comments for “Who is Fauja Singh?

1. Pam
    10/09/2017 at 12:52 am

I found this article inspiring and it provided further motivation and validation as I continue following the CR path. I have not heard of him, and I was especially pleased to read that he follows a calorie restricted diet. Sometimes it is hard to make the best food and exercise choices, so an article like this helps us all stay the course. 106 and running is enough motivation, he certainly is thriving to possess the stamina to run marathons!

• 10/09/2017 at 1:12 am

He’s amazing! I added a couple videos below the embedded one. Check them out also if you haven’t. 🙂

• Pam
        10/09/2017 at 11:24 pm

Thank you very much!

2. andrea c.
    10/14/2017 at 1:19 am

Fascinating story, but unfortunately he don’t have a birth certificate.
    In my opinion he’s probably a bit (or much more) younger than he claims…for example he could have an age between 80 and 95 years old. In very good health and extraordinarily fit for that age, but not so outstanding and incredible!

• 10/14/2017 at 1:38 am

I’m aware of this. Do you remember a guy named Buster Martin? He turned out to be a bit younger than he claimed as well, but not that much if I remember correctly. I have not actually seen anything to doubt the claim of this guy (unlike Buster), so I guess we won’t know for certain… until maybe something shows up.

One of the arguments from GRG is that if the centenarian or supercentenrian looks or acts like they are much younger than their age, then you should doubt their claim. Well, I would dispute that logic. Slowing ageing does mean slowing ageing inside and outside.

I suppose as we go forward, we’ll have more people reaching these ages with better records. 🙂

If you come across information to dispute his age, please share! And I’ll update the post.

Thanks for the comment, Andrea! 🙂

• andrea c.
        10/14/2017 at 2:20 am

thanks for your answer!

I agree with you, if someone ages slower than average, looks and behaves younger than his chronological age. But i think that there is an unbeatable limit on slowing aging, when a person seems more than 20 or 30 years younger and don’t shows any proof of his birth date, it is natural to be somewhat skeptical.

Fauja Singh would be incredible and very inspiring for “longevity seekers”, even if he had 10 years less than he claims!

Congratulations to your blog, it’s full of interesting resources.

Greetings from Italy! 🙂

3. Pam
    10/15/2017 at 12:51 pm

Wow! These are interesting further comments and give so much hope! I knew looking younger was related to slower aging, and suspected acting younger or feeling younger than ones biological age correlated as well, but I have not begun to fully explore. Reading these comments give renewed hope and optimism and surprisingly enough I feel younger already!

• 10/16/2017 at 11:17 pm

Well of course… Mice, rats, dogs, monkeys on CR all tend to look younger than their age and keep their fur longer. If you look at pictures of centenarians and supercentenarians, you’ll see that they also looked younger than their age at all stages in life. By no means is it an indicator of longevity by itself, but it’s just a common feature! Unless you destroy your skin in the sun. 🙂